And here we are again! Another CES 2018 trade show is upon us and with it we have another wave of new headphones. Some are revealed in Las Vegas at the trade show, but that’s not all. A lot of the smaller audio companies can’t afford the lavishness of Vegas, but they also announce new products to coincidence with CES, and of course the start of a new year.
LATEST UPDATE: 1/15/18 at 6:30pm ET: CES 2018 may be over, but I continue to slowly add new headphones to this list…
CES 2018 HIGHLIGHTS
- new AKG N5005 $1000 earphones
- Status Audio BT One V-Shaped bluetooth on-ears
- Audio Technica Goes Wild With A Soccer Team of Models
- Monoprice Big Bang of Headphones and DAC/amps
- Moshi Avanti Air stylish bluetooth on-ears
- 1More Over-Ears with Triple Drivers
- 1More Neckband Bluetooth versions of Triple and Quad IEMs
- Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless (BT) Over-Ears
- B&O PLAY H9i and H8i ANC/BT headphones
- NAD launches VISO HP70 with ANC, BT (apt-X HD), Active (powered), USB Audio, and more
- Sennheiser HD 820 Closed Back Flagship and HDV 820 DAC/amp
- Shure refreshes SE-series, launches USB-C DAC/amp cable
- Audeze launches $199 iSine LX Planar Earphones
- Qualcomm promises Bluetooth 5.0 / apt-X battery savings
- a lot more coming up
AKG launches $1000 N5005 IN-EARS
Top prices continue to keep pushing up with both over/on-ears and in-ears, so $1000 earphones are no longer the big shocker they used to be. Still a shocker to the wallet to be sure though 🙂 Per the press release the new AKG N5005 have five drivers (quad BA and 9.2mm), four sound filters (including a “reference” option), two detachable cables, various eartips, carrying case and such. They also come with a bluetooth dongle, so fans of bluetooth will not feel left out 🙂
The press release also cites this research paper by Sean Olive and friends, “A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners’ Preference Ratings of In-Ear Headphones”. The paper is behind a membership/pay-wall. I do not know if local libraries provide access to AES (Audio Engineering Society) research papers.
They have a 1.5 minute YouTube video showing multiple views/angles of the earphones.
With an array of different cables, ear tips & audio filters, the new #AKG #N5005 lets you completely customize your listening experience. Welcome to the new age of #audiophile. #CES2018 #HarmanCES https://t.co/xa7SCwuMch pic.twitter.com/qZbDgr5PIW
— AKG by HARMAN (@AKGaudio) January 12, 2018
The AKG High Res Audio page also mentions the N25 and N30 models which are available in Japan but show as a non-committal “coming soon” at the US AKG website.